Young Archie competition
Budding artists between the ages of 5 and 18 are invited to submit a portrait for the Art Gallery of NSW’s inaugural Young Archie competition, as part of our family-focused activites for the Archibald, Wynne and Sulman Prizes 2013 exhibition.
The portrait should be of a person who is special to you – someone who is known to you and plays a significant role in your life.
There are four age categories:
- 5-8 year olds
- 9-12 year olds
- 13-15 year olds
- 16-18 year olds
The competition will be judged by artist Ben Quilty, Archibald Prize winner in 2011 and now a Gallery trustee, and Victoria Collings, the Gallery’s senior coordinator of education and family programs, based on merit and originality.
Five finalists from each category will be exhibited at the Gallery and on the Gallery website. One winner will be chosen in each category.
Each finalist will receive an ANZ money box and Archibald 13 catalogue.
Each winner will receive a $100 ANZ Visa Debit card, an art pack from Faber-Castell and a family pass to the upcoming Sydney moderns exhibition at the Gallery as well as an ANZ money box and Archibald 13 catalogue.
- One artwork only per entrant.
- You may use any art materials you like but your artwork must be two-dimensional and on good-quality paper so it can be framed for display if you are a finalist.
- Can be vertical or horizontal.
- Must be no smaller than A4 (210 × 297 mm), no bigger than A3 (420 × 297 mm) and no thicker than 1cm.
- Should be clearly labelled on the back with which way it should be displayed, along with your name, age, address and contact details. Make sure this doesn’t show through to the front.
How to enter
- Download, print and complete the entry form, http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/archibald-wynne-sulman-prizes-2013/young-archie-competition/ which includes a brief statement (less than 100 words) telling us who you have chosen to depict and why. This form must be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Your artwork should be sent flat, not folded or rolled. We suggest you place it between two pieces of cardboard to protect it.
- If you wish your artwork returned after the competition, please also enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope of the correct size.
- Entries can be hand delivered or mailed to:
Young Archie competition c/o Public Programs Department Art Gallery of New South Wales Art Gallery Road, Sydney NSW 2000
Competition opens Wednesday 3 April 2013. Entries must be received by 9pm Wednesday 1 May. Finalists will be displayed 10 May to 2 June 2013.